Wednesday, February 28, 2007

HP Answers

WOW, where do I start. Treatment has been a great emotional roller coaster ride. Every time I thought it couldn't get worse it did. Another layer of shame and hurt uncovered. In 27 days in treatment I uncovered so much hurt, and pain that death did sound like a option. But I did not keep that option open for long. I do have so much to live for, like another 24 hours. I have found a new person under all that hurt and shame. I person that was buried years ago. A better person than I ever knew existed. A much better loving and caring person. A person who cares about what he did and how it hurt others.

When I walked out of treatment on Monday I thought it was for all the right reasons. Without going into a real long story, and he said and she said. Last Thurs i was to start fasting and drinking some fluids to flush my body for a surgical procedure on Fri. My Doc said that I needed my own bath room once I started this between 1-3 pm. It would take 6 to ten hours for it to run it course. My wife would have to leave work to pick me up. She really didn't want to. She called my counselor and asked if their were any medical reasons why I couldn't wait until 6 to be picked up and drive home 45 Min's then. He said no none at all, even though my doc told me to be home a detox room, or admit myself to the hospital. I called my neighbor to pick me up at 2pm. When my wife got home and saw how much pain and physical shape i was in felt bad, and was mad that he told her to need to pick me up. MY DOC thought so, but he was smarter than him. I went in and asked for a counselor change on Monday after the returning back to rehab. I was told they could but only after another week with him, since a counselor was on vacation. I swalled some pride and said OK. He started in right away about him calling my wife and checking up on me, attending family group with my kids, and participating in my recovery. My wife made it clear to me over the weekend how she felt talking to him, twisting her words back to me, her giving guarded responses she he couldn't twist them into something that they were not. This was my recovery not hers. Once he tried to drag my family back into this pain all over again. I put my foot down. I said they have been Thur enough, I guilted my wife into coming down to family group with the kids. It put her and them Thur so make pain, I couldn't do that again, So I walked. I did something for my family, instead of me, and it felt right.

So today about 3 hours ago I was getting ready to post. wasn't sure what to write without sounding negative and self beating about failure. This would be hard I thought. I really wanted to finish this to show myself that i could finish this one thing I started. The phone rang and it was the director of the treatment place. Talked to him about my issues and concerns. About how I felt and my wife felt. Told him that i was also partly to blame for not telling my counselor 100% of the test procedures I was having on FRI, and the prep needed on Thurs. I gave him what I felt was need to know, but left copies of the docs instructions with the house staff. i never followed up to make sure he got them. He then offered me a chance to come back and finish treatment next week when the other counselor returns. I jumped at that chance. A chance to Finish this. My prayers were answered another chance.

So this new chance Starts next Tues March 6, 2007 at 9 am. This is going to sound, well like someone had a hand in this. I was born on March 6, 1967 at 9:07. i will be entering rehab almost exactly 40 years after my birth. I get another birth this day, to do with it as I want, to make it something. To start over with a fresh slate. A drawing that I can only draw with help from HP and all of you behind me.

The one thing I forgot to say to myself on Monday with all the talk about failing. "Good job Steve, you made it 90 days without drinking, how special is that!!!!"

9 comments:

lushgurl said...

Steve I am so excited about your rebirth! and YES YES YES you are doing great 90 days is amazing!
Enjoy your (new) life today
*HUGS*

ArahMan7 said...

Yeah, Good job Steve, you made it 90 days without drinking.

Take care my friend. You will be in my prayer.

Nay said...

I knew there was something I liked about you. :)

1967 was a good year -- I too am gonna be 40 in May.

Also -- March 6, is my mother-in-law's birthday. If being born on March 6 causes the trait of hardheaded, obstinate, ahem -- I mean determination, then you aren't going to have any problems. Because she is one feisty determined little lady born on that day.

Keep taking care of you.

Nay

Anonymous said...

Again I say congrats on your 90, Steve! It is such a HUGE accomplishment!! Awesome work, my blogger friend. Keep coming back. You are living proof that it works.
I am glad to hear you have the opportunity to return and finish rehab because it sounds very important to you to finish what you started there. :-)
In regard to your comment on my bloggy -- yup, we do go through some up and downs. I think you can also expect the same. But we get through this stuff together, sometimes one minute at a time. Always remember -- "Just for today, I will have faith in someone who believes in me and wants to help me in my recovery." I am ONE of those "someone's".
Peace,
Scout

Meg Moran said...

I believe in you too Steve..one day at a time..Congratulations on the ninty day victory!!!YAY!!!

Scott M. Frey said...

great job, agreeing to start again, that's the going to any length we talk about in AA. I dont know about all the wife and doctor stuff but I do know thaqt if you want a good life, peace, happiness and a mended family, recovery has got to be #1. It sounds like you know that!

Happy Rebirth, hang in there my friend, typical early recovery feelings and stuff happening. Hang in there and dont give up! I'll be praying for you!

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

Happy Birthday Stevie! BIG day tomorrow huh??
Cool!!!
Heheh yeh Just doing it works too!
Anyway, nice to see your little posting face, so to speak, and all the very best luck tomorrow when you give the old rehab deal another shot. Remember, plenty of REALLY bad drunks have got sober before us using these techniques, so it CAN be done! Don't lose the faith! I think its great that you have the symbolic re entry in to the 'new' life tomorrow. there are no coincidences' as they say..
keep us posted Steve, and good luck!
I think you can do it!

Patrick said...

Steve! I suggest you see a good therapist who has processed his/her history. Someone who will help you process the feelings you have locked in your body, from your childhood [Inner Child Therapy]. That's what I did [1994] & I have been released from my "psychological prison." Did you check out the ORANGE PAPERS? Another good site is MORE REVEALED. These other BLOGGERS wont want anything to do with you once you have really recovered - they are all emotional cowards; that is why they hide in AA, because they are too terrified to face their demons. Think of what Jesus went through for you. He died for you, Steve!! Once you start challenging the false prophets [AA, they will crucify & abandon you. Depend on Jesus Christ not that anti - Christ lunatic, Wilson & all his demons [12 STEPPERS]
Peace Be With You
Patrick

Unknown said...

You have joined a “satanic cult,” [AA] Steve!! Get out now, before AA & all these other demons [BLOGGERS], steal your soul. Trust in Jesus!!
Truly there is a God, although the fool has said in his heart, there is no God [Psalm 14]. And it assuredly exists so truly that it cannot be conceived not to exist. For it is possible to conceive of a being which cannot be conceived not to exist; & this is greater than one which can be conceived not to exist. Hence, if that, than which nothing greater can be conceived, can be conceived not to exist, it is not that, than which nothing greater can be conceived, but this is an irreconcilable contradiction. There is, then, so truly a being than which nothing greater can be conceived to exist, that it cannot even be conceived not to exist; & this being you are. O Lord our God. [St Anslem]