One thing I rehab in rehab was about the "King Baby"
In this pamphlet, we learn to identify the infantile King Baby ego within us. Our Childish personality traits must be surrendered before our disease can be fully arrested. the compulsive King Baby personality can accelerate addiction or lead to relapse....
King babies share a wide range of personality traits. None of us has all these traits, but we will probably find many that describe us. King Babies may show these Characteristics.
- Often become angry or afraid of authority figures and will attempt to work them against each other in order to get their own way
- seek approval and frequently lose their own identities in the process
- able to make good first impression but unable to follow through
- have difficulty accepting personal criticism and become threatened and angry when criticized
- have addictive personalities and are driven to extremes
- are often immobilized by anger and frustration and are rarely satisfied
- are usually lonely even when surrounded by people
- are chronic complainers who blame others for what is wrong in their lives
- feel unappreciated and think they don't fit
- see the world as a jungle filled with selfish people who aren't there for them
- see everything as a catastrophe, a life or death satiation
- judge life in absolutes: black and white, right and wrong
- live in the past, fearful of the future
- have strong feeling of dependence and exaggerated fears of abandonment
- fear failure and rejections and don't try new things that they might not do well
- are obsessed with money and material things
- dream big plans and schemes and have little ability to make them happen
- cannot tolerate illness in themselves or others
- prefer to charm superiors and intimidate subordinates
- believe rules and laws are for others, not for themselves
- often become addicted to excitement, life in the fast lane
- hold emotional pain within and lose touch with their feelings
If this was a test to see if I am an alcoholic I would pass with flying colors. It goes on to say how we change these patterns into something good. Gives us a feeling of self worth. Turn these traits over to our HP and let him. For me knowing what drives my ego help me better keep it in check.
The inner Struggle
Understanding King baby is difficult because things are never as they appear on the surface. There are two prime motivating factors: First, the scared, lonely, child who does not want to be hurt anymore and , second, the king Baby who is never satisfied.
I am reminded of the tale of two wolves right now. Which ever one you feed will grow stronger. So taking this list of defects I''m going to go out todAAy and make a difference in the world. I'm going to arrest the defects and be free of them for TodAAy.