Monday, May 28, 2007

TodAAy I am proud of you!

Dear Sober Steve

I just wanted to stop bye and drop you a note. 180 days ago when we meet you were scared and frightened. You wanted to turn to something, but you didn't know what. you wanted a hand to hold, but who's. You wanted, maybe needed help. A choice was there in front of you. That day you choose, you choose a softer and gentle path to walk. You still could not trust. All you knew is that you were tired. So tired, just sick, just sick and tired of being sick and tired. At 8:54 you made a decision. One that changed the course of history. It could not change the past, but with this you had a future. One with sobriety, one with laughter and one with love.

On November 28, 2006 8:54 pm i was proud of you. You pushed away that last drink. You pushed away a another dose of self medication. By pushing, you allowed me into your life. You allowed another answer. We have been through up and downs, at times you did not even see a future without drinking. You were hurting still not knowing who to trust, you went to AA and asked for help. You walked through those doors scared, shaking, just needing to stop the pain. You sat alone on the couch, alone and ashamed of what you become. Feeling like you sank to the depths of the inhuman, unworthy, unloved existence. They asked for the new comer, you shook, so afraid, shaking, you couldn't talk, but I talked for you. I'm Steve. you sat at your first table. Rick, Patty, Steve, Helen, and ????? all talked about what brought them there. The first step admitting we are powerless. finally you spoke. "My name is Steve and I'm an alcoholic" came fourth. your Birth. You talked, cried, cried, wanting to stop the pain. They told you to read the book, don't drink, read the book, and keep coming back. You did, you needed something they had. they smiled, they laughed, they didn't cry. you wanted that life again. Maybe for the first time. you kept coming back, listening sharing, and finally one day you could share without crying, with out shame, without guilt. It doesn't matter how long it took to get to that day, but It was here. It was your life.

Steve you are so worth saving. so much worth the love I have for you today. Your wife, family friends knew you could do this. you wanted to run so many times. you wanted back to try to self medicate again. We stood by your side and told you that we had faith in you. Your wife was gone, your health became an issue, money problems consumed thoughts, but you stood strong. You stood Sober.

So Today 6 months later you have grown. You have began to trust others. you opened your heart to others, you laugh, you smile, you even have fun. Today you can see a life without using. A life worth saving, a life with love and laughter. You are special. You are loved, and when you feel that you are not, just remember that we will love you when you can not love yourself.

With all my love to you
Steve

16 comments:

Shadow said...

well done! that's good 'therapy'. keep it up. i'm pround of you too.

lushgurl said...

Hey there you... congratulations on 6 months of amazing recovery! What a beautiful letter to you, I hope you read it everytime your disease tries to take you back!
Love the new you today!

Kari Sullivan said...

"You walked through those doors scared, shaking, just needing to stop the pain."

I was so there!!! And you're right, I was confused when I saw your sobriety date before. My sobriety date is Nov 8. Not that it really matters. What matters is that you and I are both sober TODAY, and that together we are helping each other stay that way. And for that I am immeasurably grateful!

Peace out!
Kari

Judith said...

You should be proud, Steve. What a wonderful letter. Thank you for sharing it with us. You have come such a long way.

Congratulations on six months. And here's to more - one day at a time.

Best wishes to you,
Judith

ArahMan7 said...

Happy, happy six month, Sober Steve and yes, I am proud of you!

Pammie said...

Good Job Steve...excellent

Anonymous said...

Congratulations My Friend. I am proud of YOU!

Shannon said...

happy belated 6 months and this was an awesome note to yourself... we all need to tell ourselves the good things we do too... bravo for doing that... sometimes I still look at just the negative. thanks steve :)

Scott M. Frey said...

6 mos man, awesome, I knew HP and you could do it, a day at a time! Now, keep goin'!!

big giant bear hugs for you!

God Bless!

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

Sober Steve kicks ass! as usual! Keep up the good work my friend. You are the man!
Thanks for sharing with us.

lushgurl said...

HEY...is there anybody home??? I didn't receive written notice that you were going anywhere! No post for a week? Whassup wit dat?
Get on it my friend, at least just to say you're doing OK...

My Name Here said...

CONGRATS STEVE!!! HAPPY 6 MONTHS!!! where are you now??????

Anonymous said...

WHY DID YOU QUIT OUTPATIENT TREATMENT?

Scott M. Frey said...

coming by to offer a prayer and a hug my friend. I hope all is well with you and the boys!

Scott M. Frey said...

just coming by to check in and wish you well... I hope everything is going well for you and that you are as close to your HP and the rooms as you have been over the past 6 mos!

God Bless, peace and hugs!

Judith said...

Hi Steve. Been checking in. I miss you. I hope all is well. Hope to see you post soon.

Love,
Judith