Tuesday, May 8, 2007

This morning after the kids got themselves out the door I went and laid back down in bed, just for an hour I thought. 4 hours Later I went to visit Lush and read the daily reflection, I did have my book in hand just in case she didn't post this morning. Anyways I was sitting there and starting to think about idle hands, idle minds. Thought about how quickly those tools can get turned over for evil if we let them. I let my mind wonder. While in rehab. I remember while in rehab just opening my bible and reading a page and reflecting on it. This morning i was thinking about just that, idle hands are the devils play ground.

So this morning no pity parties not sleeping in all day. This hands are going to be used to do Gods Work. And God wants we to take my kids this fishing, (I hope he doesn't mind me putting words into his mouth today). I picked my boat up out of storage yesterday. The reminder of the difference in time. Empty beer cans all over it. But today I'm going to get it ready for this weekend. Both kids want to go. They are arguing about were to go, but they both want to go. I'm just happy that the oldest still wants to do things with me even though he has had some pretty stiff results from his drug use. So this morning these ideal hands are sipping coffee at noon. Cleaning up the kitchen, and going outside to start preparing the boat for a fishing trip for three special boys. The biggest boy is called Sober Steve.

i am a little scared, fishing is one of the play things that i worry about. I did go ice fishing a few times this winter without drinking, but this is going to be hard for me. When I drank i was not a bar fly. I drank at home or found reasons to drink outside with others. fishing and hunting was one of those reasons. I never drank while hunting, but afterwards watch out. Fishing, it was always a joke to see when i would spill my first beer.

I did start to build a base though the last two years the kids and I did a fathers day weekend fishing tournament. One of the rules was not alcohol in the boats. I never did drink during contest hours, so i know that it can be done. I know that I can do it.

Today I'm grateful to have courage over my DZ, and that I know that I do not have to walk this walk alone. For me this is going to be a long week. My parents are in IL by the rest of my family 300 miles away, slowly making their way back to WI from FL. My parents saw me early in my recovery, I have not seen them since mid Dec. And I was 50 pounds heavier, and a hole lot more scared than I am today.

Tonight I think I'm going to try to open that bible again and find that story about idle hands...If i can't find that maybe I'll look up some fishing stories. Lord know a good fisherman never doesn't like to hear about a good fish tale...

peace
Hugs and kisses
Steve

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very, very dear post from a dear guy. Ya, take those boys fishing -- ALL of them.
Peace and LOVE, Sober Steve,
Scout

Pammie said...

oh darlin' relax with the boys...show them the boy in you! Sobriety should not be glum. You're doing the work....so enjoy the rest.

Sober Steve said...

This phone that is so heavy, but no-one is answering. My wife filed for divorce. She couldn't even tell me. we have been talking so much lately. she had to write me a letter to tell me.

God please guide me..

steve

Judith said...

Oh, Steve, I am so sorry about your wife. I'm sure it was difficult for her to say it in person. It is too bad she didn't have it in her to do it, but hopefully you will be able to forgive her for not having the bravery.

Please keep trying the phone. Just don't isolate no matter how much easier it seems. In the long run that will really just make things harder for you. You can email me if you'd like (vicariousrising@msn.com) and dump if you can't find a real live person.

The fishing trip is a great idea, something to look forward to. Everything is going to be OK. It really is.

Love and best wishes,
Judith

Nael C. Robes said...

Have fun in that boat. I bet once you get going you won't think about drinking

ArahMan7 said...

Yeah Steve, I'm available too. You can have my email address on top of the right sidebar. Dump your unfinished business on me if you like. I tell you my secret, I'm a good listener.

Greeting all the way from Malaysia.

lushgurl said...

I'm glad you got that phone working, even for a little while!
The fishing sounds like a good idea, a chance to reconnect with your boys and enjoy the simplicity of nature!
Keep on doin' what you're doin', it DOES get better!
love and HUGS

Anonymous said...

I had no idea all these things were happening, I haven't been out blog surfing much the last few days.

Sorry to hear about your wife filing for divorce. As I was reading your post I was thinking to myself that "If Steve comes through this by leaning on God, there will be so much he will learn from going through this experience." Steve, you will one day see the light at the end of this really long tunnel you are in. Ride out the storm as well as you can, with as much integrity as you can and always ask God to guide your footsteps. God is drawing you to him in this time of trial, don't fight it, just rest in his grace and mercy, things will get better. I know, easier said then done, but it can be done..I know from experience.