Monday, January 1, 2007

New Years with new Beginnigs

Happy New Year to all who stop by. With 35 days into my recovery I most remember how I got here and never lose sight of how far I sank before beginning this new path.

Last week while putting somethings away in my teenagers sons room, we found lighters, bottles made into homemade bongs. This put up big flags in my mind. Nothing was hidden, in plan view. I sat there in shock, apple didn't fall far from the tree. We talked to him and told him either he gets everything out of his room or we would. That night he came out with bags crap, empty cig cartons, booze bottles, lighters, pipes. My wife and I sat in shock. He was calm when we talked and laid down some rules about using in this house. So last night New Years eve, what should we do. There was a pot luck dinner of NA and open to others like AA, it was an open speaker meeting. Brought him with. Made him sit through the meeting. I think him hearing the speakers opened his eyes, if only a little.

During the introductions it was hard for me to say, "I'm Steve and I'm an Alcoholic" in front of my wife and kids. I am an Alcoholic it is nothing that I can run from anymore. I hope he choosing a clean path before he has to follow the path that we are now walking down.

I know from what I have learned I need to concentrate on me. But this is my son. I do not want to see him make the same mistakes that I have made. Of course he said he didn't listen, but I know he did. Maybe some good did come out of last night.

Happy New Year to all.

1 comment:

Scott M. Frey said...

thanks for sharing, sir! That had to have been tough to see in your boy's room. I hope the meeting had an impact on him, it sounds like it certainly did on you! Keep on truckin' brother, it's worth it!